Thursday, June 20, 2013

Thoughts on the Trip

If someone had told me 10 years ago that I would be on a mission trip with 9 wonderful people I would have laughed in their face.  So here I am and humbled by the whole experience so far.  it is hard to believe that such poverty can exist in a place with such beautiful scenery;  and never again will I take for granted all that I have waiting for me back home.   Barb Mills

This experience has been very.....interesting. In a good way. I have met new people and got to learn others better. I have learned a lot of new skills on this trip like how to put together a picnic table. This trip has made me realize how lucky I am. I was born into the middle class where I have everything I need. Seeing most houses around here has made me very thankful for what I have. I like this mission trip because I know I can help these less fortunate people. I hope to come on many more mission trips with the church and let other people have this realization also.  -Kaylee Warner :)

 When I was first introduced to the idea of going on a mission trip, I  had no idea what I was getting myself into....  When I was told that it was going to be going into Kentucky I was expecting homes and families much similar to ours. That's not the case. What I have seen, isn't what I was  exspecting to see in our country, the place where everyone is rich and the poverty rate isn't supposed to exist. This week has been a very fun and full of good times but yet it has been full of shock and sympathy, but everyone we have met seemed very happy to be in the position they are in, but I wonder if its because they don't know any better...?  I have found that the people in my confirmation class are very fun and outgoing once you get to know them and i have met so many people that come from very different backgrounds and have experienced different things. But of course us still being teenagers we still have our moments... Like playing jello, singing on the top of our lungs to songs, and playing truck--all immature things, but still very fun and we can laugh about it later! This trip has opened my eyes to fact that I'm very lucky to have the things I do, even though we take advantage of them almost every day, but we still are very fortunate for them. I hope I will be able to come on more of these trips because I learned that I love to be able to help those with less than me.  -Morgan Groeschl <3

When I first got here in I realized how lucky I am to have what I have. I'm glad I found out what some people in the world have to live their lives and how I can help those people. It is nice getting to know everyone more and being able to meet many more great people at this camp. I have learned how to make a picnic table and many other skills that will help me. So far it has been a great time in Kentucky.   Zach Oelke

I agreed to go on this trip because I figured I had nothing better to do all summer. I just thought that I should get out of my house and accomplish something more than babysitting and hanging out with my friends. I did not realize what I was getting myself into. I have helped to paint a gazebo and build a table. I am not one to usually do a lot of work, and I was surprised at the sense of accomplishment I felt to have helped people who are less fortunate than I. The people here have so little, and I realized that I take for granted all of the things that I have. I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to help them. I am also glad to have met many wonderful people on this trip. These people are kind and funny, and I will have great memories of this trip because of them.
--Kaatje Weiland

     Awesome!  In a word!  I continue to believe strongly in the loving work and activity of God in our lives.  We started out as a very diverse group and we are so solid now.  Mission trips test us in every way.  We talked about our assumptions coming into the trip and how that has stood this weeks reality.
     Our family has three boys from age 4 to 8.  This family lives on $366.00 dollars per month.  Food, utilities, gas and everything from this amount.  Their lights come from grandma's trailer by drop cord.  Their shower and sink water runs wild out the back into the gully.  The fridge had a partial jar of salad dressing in it and the freezer had nothing in it, zero.
     But, on the fridge were the usual pictures of family life, love and laughter.  Father's Day was a few days ago and the boys each made their dad a card.  They showed us!  Their Headstart papers were all over the walls and cupboards.
     In the midst of poverty there is love.  I'm so overwhelmed by how hard many people in poverty have to work so much harder to achieve a sense of 'normal'.  They make it work!  They live their 'normal' life.  It is different than mine.  When I live in their world I have to live in their 'normal' life.  My anxiety over their lifestyle is mine!  My feelings of paternalistic control are mine!  My desire to get in there and work my homemaker talents are mine.  Most of the homework is mine!
     God Bless them.      Pastor Keith.

No comments:

Post a Comment